Lesson plan for 8 – 11 year olds: Be smart with your smartphone. Say goodbye to phone bill shocks and credit calamities.
We all know how it goes: you’re about to start the PSHE lesson (Personal, Social, Health and Economic education) and slowly your students start to disengage. They expect a boring topic, so they start going about their business.
But not this time. With this lesson plan we prepared for you, we promise you’ll get their full
Firstly because it’s about their most prized possession: their smartphone 😛
3 more reasons why you’ll get your students’ attention with this lesson:
1) Students themselves requested help with this topic.
Together with Childnet, we asked primary school students what they need help with and phone safety came up. So we listened to students and created a lesson plan for you to teach them all they need to stay safe on their smartphone.
2) Your students are more likely to be engaged when they’re taught an interactive lesson.
They’ll get to know Bill Shock who will show them what to watch out for to avoid unexpected charges on their smartphone: from quizzes and competitions to in-app purchases.
3) Your students will feel empowered with these skills that they need in everyday life.
You will be able to show them how to think critically about money and internet safety when using their smartphone, whether it’s to do with gaming, apps or ads.
This is not another one of those dull and outdated lessons. With Childnet’s help, we made this lesson plan fun and practical. For years Childnet have been working with both teachers and students in schools across the UK so you’re guaranteed an excellent teaching resource. Their teaching resources have been used by thousands of teachers. You can see for yourself here, here and here.
You will get:
- a Teacher’s Pack that tells you all you need to know about the topic, step by step instructions for delivering the lesson and ideas for fun extra activities
- a Powerpoint presentation for you to use, with plenty of examples of good or services that might cost real money, charged to their phone bill
- a Students’ Pack with worksheets and information card, with a special extra: a Test an adult quiz and diploma.